THE HERE AND NOW

By | 2017-09-05T15:12:14+00:00 January 9th, 2017|Blog, News|193 Comments

Before I get into an update on my injury, I have to say: I’m really proud of this Kansas City Chiefs team, and the things they’re achieving, making their goals come true. I’m thankful to be a part of this organization and this team.

This is the only organization I’ve ever known. It’s family to me.

chiefs1

I couldn’t be happier for their success. I have a lot of close friends on the team, and they know how much I care about them. There’s obviously a part of me that wishes I could be a bigger part of it, that I could be contributing on the field. But that’s not the plan for me right now.

The story out in the world was that there was swelling in my knee that held me back, but that’s not what happened. The knee didn’t swell or anything like that. I didn’t get hurt in a game, either. I got hurt on the practice field.

It’s a tough break for me, but I can’t really dwell on it. I have to worry about my health and getting myself right. That’s why I’ve spent the last few months down in Pensacola, working hard.

HOW I GOT HERE

There’s been speculation that I tried to come back too quick, or that I wasn’t ready, but I honestly don’t think me coming back to play is what caused this to happen.I think, if anything, I was doing too much extra work on top of what I was doing with the team and the trainers.

Everybody was questioning me, talking about what I should be doing, and asking “Why doesn’t Jamaal look like this coming back from surgery, why does he look like that?” But at the end of the day, you have to be true to who you are instead of listening to the outside voices and trying to follow everybody else’s advice. Everybody is trying to diagnose the body, but nobody knows the body better than God. Man didn’t make the body. God did.

0109_jc3

When I came back in Week 4, I needed to shake some rust off. But two weeks later, I was feeling good. I thought that since I had a good game against Oakland, maybe I could do extra stuff before and after practice to get even better, and that kind of backfired on me. The week after the Raiders game, we got into practice, and everything was going normally. Afterward, I stayed out doing some more extra work. Nobody was really out there besides the running backs, everybody had gone back in, just the running back coaches and the running backs were still outside. There were 5-10 of us at most.

We were running through some drills, and when I went to make a cut, my leg just locked up. It wasn’t painful—there was just something weird about it. It locked up, and I couldn’t walk. I had to be carted off the field. They did an MRI, but you couldn’t tell what was going on or what was wrong with me. After you have a knee surgery like I had, it’s hard to tell from an MRI what’s going on. I just knew for myself that even after they worked on my leg, something wasn’t right. I wasn’t the same.

At that point, I had to make a decision to play with the injury or sit out. That week, we were playing New Orleans and I tried to give it a go, but it was still feeling the same. I think I had one carry in that game, and it just didn’t feel right. So I told my running back coach I couldn’t go anymore, and sat the rest of that one out. I wanted to see what would happen the following week, and if it would get any better with a little time.

0109_jc4

When it really got real was that next week. I was at home playing with my daughter. She grabbed my leg and it locked up, just like it had at practice. At that point, I started thinking, “How am I going to go out on the field and play if I can’t even play with my kids?” My daughter is four years old. If her grabbing my leg is going to cause it to lock up, imagine what would happen if a 300-pound dude fell on me.

That really allowed me to put things in perspective as it related to my family instead of my career. At the end of the day, my family comes first. We’re about to have a little boy. If I can’t play with him or my daughters, what am I doing?

My health and my family come before everything.

VISITING DR. ANDREWS

I actually did try to give it a go again against the Colts the next week, because I thought it would get better, and it did a little bit. But it still wasn’t there yet, so I had to tell the coaches I couldn’t play. The coaches understood. They said that it’s a long season and that they cared about me, so they told me to go see what’s going on. Maybe it’s something. Maybe it’s nothing. Or maybe it’s just a little issue. We had to find out.

0109_jc1_720So I booked a flight down to see Dr. Andrews in Pensacola. I was supposed to go down there for just one day. But he really didn’t know what was going on either. He checked me out from my knees to my ankles, trying to figure out what was going on and come up with a diagnosis and treatment. He knew he had to do more tests, so he called our trainer. They decided to keep me down in Pensacola for a bit and run me through some tests.

I did a bunch of different things with him. I was running on the field really well at first, doing a full workout, but as we got into it, I started not feeling so great again. That helped them narrow down the problem and he decided he was going to go into the knee and do a scope.

That’s when he found out it was a meniscus tear.

When they told me it wasn’t my ACL, I was thankful. You have to be. Once you go through an ACL tear—or two in my case—and you find out it’s just the meniscus, there’s some relief there. When you go through the process with the ACL, that really gives you some things to think about. A meniscus is minor in comparison. People have played through it, and guys tolerate that. My body wasn’t adapting to it, but that’s ok. I was thankful my ACL was still intact because it meant there was still a chance for me.

That’s more powerful than anything in the world.

I was given the option to let it heal or have surgery, and I made the decision to go ahead and get the surgery because it was already on my mind. I didn’t want to be tentative on the field, wondering if my leg could lock up at any time. If I get hit, knowing that I’m not healthy, that puts doubt in your mind. I’m not about to play like that.

I was nervous about having the surgery at first, and a big reason for that was that it would require me to step away from the team again. But I’m feeling good and I’m happy I did it. A lot of guys on my team I’ve talked to, they were very supportive of me, and telling me to go ahead and do it. They understood my health comes before the team. To hear that advice from them, I was just like, “You know what? I’m going to go do it.” They’re being real with me and telling me the truth. That’s all I can ask for from them.

0109_jc7

At the end of the day, I’m happy I had the surgery because I’m feeling good now, better than I’ve felt all year. I’m getting back to where I need to be, back healthy again.

It’s supposed to be 6-7 weeks from that type of procedure until you can come back and play, so when I asked if there was a possibility I could come back and play this year, Dr. Andrews said, “Yeah, it’s a possibility.” That was with eight games to go. The team put me on injured reserve, and we talked about it, and decided to have him clean out the other knee as well. That one wasn’t as bad, but there was some stuff in there. It made sense to do it so I could just heal up and go out there feeling the same way in both knees, just completely ready.

Neither procedure was a major surgery. I’ve been through two major knee surgeries now, where I couldn’t even walk after. These surgeries were no pain at all, really light, I didn’t even have to take any medicine after. So I’ve been excited from day one.

I’m honestly thankful to God for allowing me to go through this again, not having to go through another major injury, and that they were able to fix my knees. Now I can get back to focusing on what I want to do.

ROAD TO RECOVERY

The trainers down in Pensacola have done a really good job bringing me through this, so I’m just listening to them every step of the way. I know this time I have to do it right.

Dr. Andrews is the best doctor I’ve ever met. He’s always honest with me, and very supportive of me through this whole process. I’m happy to be working with him and all the great people he has on his staff.

They had me doing workouts in the pool, on the bike, jump rope and squats, leg extensions, just everything I could to get ready so I can start moving around, running and moving laterally and then really start cutting. I think all this rehab work is going to help me a lot, just getting my conditioning and strength up.

I honestly don’t know what the future holds for me. I know it’s God’s will and God’s purpose to determine what’s next for me. I’m just thankful. I’m thankful for my friends and my family, and the people that surround me and support me through these humbling experiences. This is another crisis, another time falling down, but I know I’ll always get back up.

The support for me has been tremendous. So many people have reached out to me while I’ve been down here, from Coach Reid to Coach EB to all of the other running backs. The trainers call me every day. Eric Berry, Jeremy Maclin, Dontari Poe, DJ and a lot of my other teammates are in contact with me. Even some of the people I know through Brothers in Christ reached out to me. I have a great support system, and I’m so thankful to God for allowing me to be around that. It’s uplifting to see how many people really care about me.

Because the girls are in school, my wife and kids couldn’t be down in Pensacola with me like they were during the offseason. They came down for my surgery and my wife was here for a little bit, but she had to go back to take care of things at home.

She’s doing really well as her pregnancy moves along. She sends me pictures, and she’s shopping nonstop trying to get ready for the baby to come. She’s just excited. We’re going to bring a new life into this world. As it gets closer, it gets more and more overwhelming. But I’m thrilled. I’m going to have a son to keep the legacy going.

0109_jc6

I want to thank everybody who has reached out for your support, especially the fans. It means so much to me to have that through this.

Most people don’t want to admit when they’re going through a tough time, but it doesn’t scare me to admit it. When you go through crisis, instead of complaining about it, if you’re thankful for all that you have, you’ll make it through anything. I’m grateful that I’m still alive and I have my wife, my daughters, a son on the way and so many amazing people around me. I’m blessed and I’m happy with my circumstances and thankful for where I am. It’s always God’s purpose to reveal something to me, and I’m still trying to see the path he’s showing me.

What I do know is that I still want to play football. I was only 29 years old this season. My goal right now is to just focus on the now and my rehab and let the rest sort itself out later.

In the meantime, I tell all our fans: Don’t worry about me, I’m in good hands. Go Chiefs!

193 Comments

1. Mike Bonner January 9, 2017 at 6:44 pm - Reply

SO glad you are taking care of yourself. Oh how I miss seeing you run, but am glad you are being smart. We all hope you will continue to be a Chief, but you’ll always have me as a fan.

2. John M January 9, 2017 at 6:45 pm - Reply

Get better soon JC. Chiefs Kingdom is looking forward to seeing you on the field.

3. Chad January 9, 2017 at 6:46 pm - Reply

I hope you can re work your contract and stay with the Chiefs. #Family

4. Chris January 9, 2017 at 6:51 pm - Reply

You gonna be in KC for the game w/ the team? We’d love to see you, even on the sidelines!

5. CoriKay January 9, 2017 at 6:55 pm - Reply

I love reading this! We definitely miss you out there but taking care of yourself is definitely most important. Thank you for this update. I know there are lots of people curious about your status. Would love to see you playing again! Wishing you the best in your recovery!

6. Chris Wilt January 9, 2017 at 6:57 pm - Reply

Please get well and suit up for KC ! God bless you and your family.

7. Lisa January 9, 2017 at 6:58 pm - Reply

You are an amazing person! I do not have words. Thank you for being a Chief and always making everyone proud, on and off the field. You are a bright light in the world. I deeply hope you come back to the field and continue your dream. I have loved watching you play. You are a role model to everyone.

8. Brian Thomas January 9, 2017 at 6:58 pm - Reply

The team misses you. Don’t think they don’t for any reason. The fans miss you! Next time you are back in PA, I hope to run into you. I moved down here last year and always keep my eyes out for you.

9. Maureen Vaught January 9, 2017 at 7:01 pm - Reply

You are an inspiration to us all!!

10. Kevin Carter January 9, 2017 at 7:01 pm - Reply

JAMAAAAAALLLLLL!!!! Get healthy and come back strong next year #ChiefsNation #ChiefsKingdom !!

11. Zach January 9, 2017 at 7:02 pm - Reply

Trust your gut. Do what you have a peace about. God has your back. Get better and good luck on your return to football.

12. Waylon kratzberg January 9, 2017 at 7:04 pm - Reply

Jamaal. I know you probably won’t read this but in the slim chance that you do I wanted you to know that you are my favorite player of all time. Not only on the field but off the field. Your an amazing role model for the kids and the KC community. I’m gonna be at the game this Sunday watching the chiefs take on the steelers and it pains me that you won’t be there in uniform but reading this article brings hope. I hope you make it back and I hope you are a chief until your body no longer allows you to do so. Stay humble 25. And I hope and pray I see you out on that field next season. God bless

13. E January 9, 2017 at 7:07 pm - Reply

How nice..Shows how smart you are ..A very honorable man..And shows how you wouldn’t hesitate to put Family before Fame!Love it mad you too Jamaal

14. Ted January 9, 2017 at 7:07 pm - Reply

Smart man, praying for you. Can’t wait to see you and Tyreek Hill on the same field

15. Ted Graham January 9, 2017 at 7:07 pm - Reply

16. Bill Rumback January 9, 2017 at 7:09 pm - Reply

Speedy recovery Jamaal! Thanks for sharing your story with your fans!

17. Bill Rumback January 9, 2017 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Speedy recovery Jamaal!
    Thanks for sharing your story with your fans!

18. David Martin January 9, 2017 at 7:11 pm - Reply

You will always be a bright spot in the Chiefs past, present, and future. You will always be a Chief!! I went through the surgery in 2012 and while I am nowhere near your level, I am back to my normal self. Always remember your family comes first and foremost.

19. William January 9, 2017 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Jamaal you are an amazing player and a better person. I hope you can suit up for the Chiefs again if you don’t I understand that also. Take care of you and keep living for God. You are the kind of example that children can look up to.

20. Tommy January 9, 2017 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Awesome to see you are doing well on your road to recovery. God is good! You are such an inspiration to myself and many others! Congrats on your new addition to the family. Can’t wait to see you take that field again, JC!

21. Brett January 9, 2017 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Happy you’re on your road to recovery. You’ll always be my favorite football player no matter what path you take!

22. Mike January 9, 2017 at 7:16 pm - Reply

Hope you come back to the game and stay a chief forever ! We love you and miss you . Chiefs kingdom !!!

23. Kristen January 9, 2017 at 7:16 pm - Reply

This is just another reason why I love you! You are always so positive and thankful for everything. You are an amazing man and player! My prayers for you are that I will see you again playing for our Chiefs! You are a true asset to our team. Hey maybe if you decide to or can’t play you could come on as a coach! Glad to see we have a Jamaal Jr to look forward to seeing in the future! I know he will be as great as his dad! You are a true inspiration!

24. Mike Ring January 9, 2017 at 7:18 pm - Reply

Jamaal, that was a very insightful and heart felt journey of what you’ve gone through this season.

I’ve been wondering how you were “really” doing and I am so glad to see you are in good spirits and recovering well.

I might add that I am also so excited to see that you are following God and proudly acknowledging His will for your life. No matter what transpires in football we know this -> Proverbs 3;5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

May God bless you and your precious family. The best thing you have ever done for them is not becoming an NFL superstar, it’s taking the initiative to be a man of God and lead them as such.

25. Scott January 9, 2017 at 7:18 pm - Reply

This was an amazing read. It’s rare to get such an in depth view at the real life of a player. Thank you for sharing your story! I know a lot of us have been curious, more out of concern for you than anything else. Glad to hear things are looking up!

26. David Elkins Sr. January 9, 2017 at 7:23 pm - Reply

This letter is very comforting knowing JC is doing well… keep up the great work and congrats on ur baby boy on the way!!! Go Chiefs!!!

27. Mike Stewart January 9, 2017 at 7:24 pm - Reply

You’ll be back dominating defenses next year bro. In the meantime, I’ll be in Pensacola on business for the AFC championship. Maybe we’ll run into each other. CHIIIEEEFFFSS!!!

28. Caleb January 9, 2017 at 7:27 pm - Reply

Yes please get healthy! What an awesome foundation you have in Christ and with your family. Football may be good but Pensacola is not such a bad place to be.

29. Gary Durr January 9, 2017 at 7:27 pm - Reply

You are very inspiring as a player and as a man! Wishing you a speedy recovery, and looking forward to see you play next season. Enjoy spending time with your family. God bless!

30. Toya January 9, 2017 at 7:30 pm - Reply

Sending prayers your way take care of yourself

31. Sarah Hurt January 9, 2017 at 7:32 pm - Reply

So glad that you are doing good and taking care of yourself. Family comes first. Hope to see you back out there. Huge fan of yours since Texas! Go Chiefs!!

32. Ryan January 9, 2017 at 7:33 pm - Reply

Keep up the hard work man…we’ll see you cutting up the field again real soon!

33. Cody McCoy January 9, 2017 at 7:35 pm - Reply

Much love JC, your my favorite player of all time and that will NEVER change. Get well soon, cograts on little JC Jr. on his way! Can’t wait to see you back on the field soon, seriously it has been a true blessing to watch you every week. Prayers coming to you and your family, see you soon!

34. Brad Symcox January 9, 2017 at 7:36 pm - Reply

Great to hear you’re resting up and enjoying family time. I’m a huge fan of yours and it was painfull watching you suffer your ACL injury again. I had an ACL reconstruction too, so I understand the pain you went through. Not only that but when you discuss having playing time with your kids, that was the exact same thought running through my mind. I ended up playing football (soccer) for another 3 years after my ACL repair and I enjoyed every minute of it. But I gave up the game after that as I was getting older, and I wanted to keep myself fresh for my kids. Whatever you decide, the Chiefs Kingdom will understand.

I’m a huge fan from the UK, I have loads of signed items from you, you’re my all time favourite Chiefs player. I know you’ll be back.

35. Travis Pratt January 9, 2017 at 7:36 pm - Reply

Jamaal you’ve always been my favorite player since you came to the chiefs. It makes me sad that you got hurt again and I hope you have a full recovery and are back next year. I’ve never had the opportunity to meet you but you seem like awesome person.

36. Josh Short January 9, 2017 at 7:36 pm - Reply

Jamaal,

You’re truly an inspiration. I have a tremendous amount of respect for you because you never give up and you always push yourself to be the best that you can be. That’s all one can do. Thank you for everything you do. If you ever find yourself in Charlotte, be sure to let me know!

#chiefskingdom
    #arrowheadpride
    #gochiefs

37. Mike d January 9, 2017 at 7:37 pm - Reply

Jamaal, you are the best…can’t wait to see you making first downs and touchdowns next season. Congrats on the upcoming birth of your son, it sounds like your family is a blessing and you are an outstanding Dad….GO CHIEFS

38. Brad Hughes January 9, 2017 at 7:39 pm - Reply

Jamaal,
    Thanks so much for your honest, inspiring story. God is clearly using your experience to be a blessing to others. If it’s His will, I look forward to seeing you on the field in Chiefs’ red again!

39. Greg Scott January 9, 2017 at 7:41 pm - Reply

Awesome explanation. You are a great running back and person. Good luck on your recovery

40. Dustin Craft January 9, 2017 at 7:48 pm - Reply

I love watching you play, sir. I also loved reading about your faith, more. Thank you for your contribution on the field and off the field. Your family is beautiful!

41. Alonzo J Jennings January 9, 2017 at 7:50 pm - Reply

It was really good to hear you speak on your situation..
    Hope you get better take ya time player..
    #25

42. Oren Edgman January 9, 2017 at 7:58 pm - Reply

Dear Jamaal,
    Wow. Well written introspective. You are doing the right thing with this open hearted outpouring of truth. So much negetive blame and gossip energy out there about your injury. Just like your touch down celebration you are wiping off — casting away the negetive energy and hate. Good for you, my Brother. Good for you. G-d finds the way to get the messsge to us through the things we love, and you are listening. I was more hard headed and focused on charging ahead. I’ve had i know at least 14 concussions with 16 major surgeries from martial arts and accidents, with cervical and pelvis fusions. But you know, you work through it all with G-d and the Lord is merciful and shows you the poetry seeded within our hearts from the pains we endure and Bless in G-ds name. Look forward to seeing you manifesting yourself on the field next season. Will just leave this here for you: G-d plans our road ahead and sets our table, and without the forks G-d leaves in the road, our characters would go hungry. Love you man.

43. &e January 9, 2017 at 8:01 pm - Reply

JC25, I can tell you got plenty of gas in the tank. You’ll be back and I can’t wait! Greatest RB of all time and your highlight reel proves it! I watch is sometimes just for inspiration!

44. Tom January 9, 2017 at 8:06 pm - Reply

You got this 25

45. J January 9, 2017 at 8:07 pm - Reply

Stay strong 25! You have been the bright spot for a long time in KC. I’m sure your immediate family is just as proud to see you happy as the Chief family is.

46. Bob Pagel January 9, 2017 at 8:12 pm - Reply

JC. Good to hear you’re doing well. Glad you have things in perspective!! Continued prayers to you and the family. There are doubters out there but I believe you will be back on the field in a CHIEFS uniform. The organization would be foolish to do otherwise. Go Chiefs!!! To God be the glory!!

47. Joe P January 9, 2017 at 8:23 pm - Reply

Jamaal, you are an incredible inspiration. Thank you for being you, and congratulations on the new son on the way!!!

48. Cory January 9, 2017 at 8:24 pm - Reply

Class act JC25! Wishing you all the best from ChiefsKingdom

49. Cory January 9, 2017 at 8:26 pm - Reply

Class act JC25! Wishing you all the best from a greatful ChiefsKingdom

50. Jeremy January 9, 2017 at 8:28 pm - Reply

Good luck as you keep rehabbing Jamaal….Chiefs nation misses you but Family is by far the most important thing to take care of….I really hope to see you suited up with the Chiefs next year hopefully trying to repeat as Champions

51. KImS January 9, 2017 at 8:30 pm - Reply

Wishing you the best in your recovery. Keep working hard and hope to see you back where you belong next year–with the Chiefs!!

52. Adam Braden January 9, 2017 at 8:31 pm - Reply

Power stuff Jamaal. This message transcends sports and provides great perspective on life and it’s challenges in general (and overcoming them). I look forward to sharing your message with my 8th grade son who’s actively involved in sports. Thanks again for sharing and can’t wait to see you back out on the field, or wherever your path leads you!

53. Gerald E. Joee January 9, 2017 at 8:33 pm - Reply

Your story is is such an inspiring story and it encourages me in ways I can’t explain I am dealing wit b Knee issues not on the same level but they hurt every day! To hear you talk about your faith made my spirit jump! So please stay A chief for life as Long as you can. I am a fellow believer and I am a huge dan of yours. I have never been to a game but it is on my bucket list.May GOD BLESS you and your family! I pray we could meet one day!

54. Keith Clark January 9, 2017 at 8:34 pm - Reply

Jamaal, you are my favorite chief all time. You’re the best. Can’t to see you with the chiefs next year. Good luck in your recovery.

55. rick legrotte January 9, 2017 at 8:37 pm - Reply

Your a Chiefs legend! Thanks for all that you gave to your team and the city. You certainly have nothing else to prove to your fans. Good luck with your recovery!

56. Harold January 9, 2017 at 8:41 pm - Reply

Smart brother putting God first and family and soon to be the super bowl champs the kansas city chiefs stay bless my brother

57. Lakedog January 9, 2017 at 8:42 pm - Reply

JC Thanks for the update. Best wishes and luck on the upcoming birth of your son. Whether you make it back on the field or not it has been awesome watching you play. You need not prove anything to anyone. You already have. So sorry about the injury. The Kingdom is rooting for you. Hope to see you at Arrowhead preferably on the field in the end zone. Happy New Year

58. Jason Morris January 9, 2017 at 8:46 pm - Reply

That is good too hear hope you get back on your feet soon we all miss you and love you. GO CHEIFS. Please stay with your team and don’t leave.

59. Jake January 9, 2017 at 8:48 pm - Reply

You are SUCH an inspiration Jamaal. I cried when you got that touchdown this year, and I cried when you got injured again. It’s just heartbreaking that you aren’t out there kicking butt with your football family. There’s a whole world of football fans out there that love you, go check any forum or message board, you are universally looked up to as a beloved person and an all time great player. Your demeanor and attitude are incredible.

Thanks so much for sharing what you’ve been going through with us and congratulations on the son to be! A future Olympian to be sure.

Keep working hard and get better soon buddy, the Chiefs need the NFLs most talented player back in action! You’re too young to quit now 🙂

60. Jim Wolfe January 9, 2017 at 8:49 pm - Reply

Reading your letter was like a breath of fresh air. Open, honest, personal, and from the heart. Thank you for sharing! As fan’s we have a constant need to know everything about our favorite team and player. It must be overwhelming for you at times! Best wishes and prayers that all works out for you according to God’s plan. GO CHIEFS!

61. Noel Williams January 9, 2017 at 8:50 pm - Reply

I have nothing but love and respect for you brother, as your brother in Christ and as a long time die hard Chiefs fan. I just want to humbly thank you for all that you have given to the Chiefs organization on and off the field. Even how you are handling your business with you injury is something many of your teammates can learn from. I hope your tenure long and successful like that of DJ, or Tamba. So you can retire a Chief. Peace and Love to you and your family. God bless you all…

62. Craig Butterfield January 9, 2017 at 8:52 pm - Reply

We all love you Jamaal. Take care of yourself and your family. I can’t wait to see you come back and shred defenses again soon.

63. Tyson Branizor January 9, 2017 at 8:53 pm - Reply

Been praying for you and all of us Chiefs fans are proud to have such a upstanding man on the team. I know you’ll be back out there causing all kinds of trouble for defenses. Jamaal you already are a legend that will be talked about for lifetimes. More than anything you Love God and treat others with respect. I love how my kid can look up to you.

64. Ken January 9, 2017 at 8:53 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing update JC! It helps to knowhow you’re doing. Your spirits are with your teammates and fans so you are part of the ongoing success. Peace be with you!

65. Zach January 9, 2017 at 8:55 pm - Reply

I honestly believe you’re the most underrated player of my generation in the NFL. Every play you give your all and because of that every play was exciting; every play you could take it to the house. Stay positive, humble and healthy. You will be back. I can’t wait to see you in Canton, where you truly belong.

66. Brien McKinzie January 9, 2017 at 8:58 pm - Reply

Hey Jamal. We love you bro! The Chiefs are a very good team but with you we are a GREAT team. It’s not the same without you. Don’t get me wrong. Our other running backs are good, but they are not on your level.

#Hookem and #GoChiefs

67. LPowell January 9, 2017 at 9:07 pm - Reply

I’m so grateful that you took the time to let your fans know about your progress in detail. It speaks to your character and love for God, family, and football-in that order. Continue to do things with Gods guidance and things will shape itself out. I’ll be wearing my “25” jersey this weekend in honor of you against the Steelers. Congratulations to you and your wife on the upcoming arrival of your son!!

68. Eduardo Delatorre January 9, 2017 at 9:07 pm - Reply

Jammal, your an amazing individual gifted with both a unique athletic ability and with a tenacious spirit. #JC25 #BackBetterThanEver2017 #KCChiefs

69. Susan Brock January 9, 2017 at 9:11 pm - Reply

Jamal thank you for sharing and congratulations on your new son. I admire your faith and perseverance as you take this journey. You did the right thing for yourself. We have to rest to rise again but at a higher level. It would have been bad if you kept playing then had a permanent injury that would have affected the rest of your career and personal life. It’s your race so get well at your pace. God’s Blessings to you and your family Jamal.

70. Chris January 9, 2017 at 9:14 pm - Reply

You can take a player out of football but you cant take football out of the player. Dont worry about the future it already has enough problems. Take care of you and your family. We’ll always have the memories and the hopenof making more. But dude. ENJOY yourself. Much respect and God bless.

71. Isaac cintron January 9, 2017 at 9:16 pm - Reply

JC may god bless you and your family man I loved seeing you run. I always got into arguments with my buddies about who the best running back when you were playing and I always had your back brother. I have been a fan since 1987 when Christian Okaye was my track coach for a short time at Bassett High in southern cal. I remember all the back we had LJ Homes Kimble the nightmare I would have to say my favorites were you and Homes. One day I will visit KC man and see how cool that stadium will be. I will pray for your recovery and do what’s right for your family buddy. Take care of yourself one day we will meet. And the home of the CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!

72. Ronald Hamm January 9, 2017 at 9:17 pm - Reply

I know you have to get healthy, but i’m selfish and want this team to have you as an active part of this run. I feel this season won’t mean as much without you in the playoffs. Leading up to this season you have always been the renewed hope for each new year and to not see you playing in this post season is truly heart-breaking.
    I know you will dismiss the sentiment and relent to all the “best interest of the organization” narrative its what selfless, humble guys like you do, but as I was reading this i did not see one post that I thought gave you the respect or due that you truly deserve.
    Sincerely,
    Just a fan

73. Donnie Maag January 9, 2017 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Thank you for everything you have done for the Chiefs family! Praying for a speedy recovery! You will forever be a Chief!

74. Ashton M January 9, 2017 at 9:27 pm - Reply

Thank you for taking the time to share these thoughts with your fans JC. We are usually at the mercy of team statements and media reports, so any time we have exposure like this that gives a sort of perspective into your experiences, it is remarkably relieving and satisfying to know you are recovering well both physically and mentally.

We have watched and thoroughly enjoyed you throughout your entire career playing football for the Chiefs, and want nothing more than to see you rebound and continue being one of the most polarizing RBs the game has seen, but at the end of the day, we care even more that the man who brought us such joy and fascination is completely healthy and happy with how his life is going.

Whatever may happen in the future, just know you have a legion of fans that will be forever thankful for your contributions and hard work that you have dedicated to this sport. Keep working and fighting to return to the field, you’ll have a roar of applause and admiration waiting for you at Arrowhead.

75. Melvin January 9, 2017 at 9:29 pm - Reply

Jc the Great you will always be one of my favorite Chiefs of all time !!! #25

76. Eric January 9, 2017 at 9:31 pm - Reply

Get week jamal. Don’t rush back until your 100 percent and o really hope you come back next year.
    God bless you.

77. Greg Moore January 9, 2017 at 9:35 pm - Reply

We miss you every Sunday at Arrowhead!!! Take care of your ladies and we will see you soon! I have two daughters of my own and they are precious, much like yours.

78. Scott Briley January 9, 2017 at 9:35 pm - Reply

Youre the best Ive ever watches run, and there is a chance that is biased, but I it is a valid argument to anyone out there. I am grateful to have been able to sew you play in person and to watch that kind of talent and work pay off. I am even more grateful that all that talent comes in the form of a great man and human being. One that I can always direct myboys to emulate and be proud if their anywhere close to you.

79. Thomas Leger Jr January 9, 2017 at 9:37 pm - Reply

I love you my brother.

80. Will C. January 9, 2017 at 9:41 pm - Reply

Wishing you the best Jamaal. Get well for your wife and daughters first, we in your Chiefs family can be patient.

81. Zain January 9, 2017 at 9:44 pm - Reply

You inspired me to not give up on my dreams, you will always be my favorite player on the chiefs. I grew up with a learning disability like you and I know what it’s like and I just want to say thank you and I hope to see you get more and more Healthy from you’re 1# Fan .GO CHIEFS!

82. Tamara January 9, 2017 at 9:47 pm - Reply

You are an inspiration! I miss watching you play, but I’m so glad you’re taking care of yourself. I’m so proud of this team, but it’s bittersweet without you there. My 3 year old daughter and I wear your jerseys still. I hope you continue to heal and I pray I get to watch you again.

83. Steve January 9, 2017 at 9:50 pm - Reply

Jamal,
    You are a true inspiration. A true leader in and off the field. Take care of yourself. Come back next year to defend the afc west and Super Bowl championships. Forever Chiefs Nation.

84. Jennifer(Port Arthur, TX) January 9, 2017 at 10:01 pm - Reply

We love you Jamaal Charles!! Hoping to see you back on the field for the fall season!! Praying that knee heals quickly and correctly and we can’t wait to see you do what you do!!

85. Jesse guzman January 9, 2017 at 10:04 pm - Reply

JC your my favorite player of all time . I miss watching you run in the in zone .

86. Jennifer(Port Arthur, TX) January 9, 2017 at 10:07 pm - Reply

P.S. We moved to the Port Arthur, TX area a couple of years back from Missouri and when we are out and about in our Jerseys we always meet people that went to school with you. Some even claim to be relations!! Lots of love for you out here!!

87. LINDA DYSART January 9, 2017 at 10:14 pm - Reply

You are one of the most amazing players I’ve ever seen. You are right you have to take care of yourself JC… Your family needs you.. I know what its like to tear the ACL.. have done it twice and now I have NO mencuis… Prayers to you and your family…
    #LOUDANDPROUDKCCHIEFS
    #NUMBERONECHIEFSFAN

88. Mark Shortino January 9, 2017 at 10:18 pm - Reply

See you next year in a Kansas City Chiefs uniform I’m sure the contract thing will be solved that’s the way things happen in this 1st class organization and you can resume you Hall of Fame career !!! KC Chiefs + Players + Fans = Forever Family

89. Portia Robinson January 9, 2017 at 10:23 pm - Reply

Thank you for sharing your story. We are all rooting for you, and praying for your full recovery. You continue to represent PA well. #HometownHero!

90. Shane Guyer January 9, 2017 at 10:24 pm - Reply

I’ve been a KC fan for a long time, but you’re one of my all time favorites. It’s not the same,not hearing Mitchell Holthus call your name. But you will come back stronger like always. Can’t wait to see JC25 back on the field next season. KC KINGDOM loves you… get better

91. Jim Teeman January 9, 2017 at 10:27 pm - Reply

Glad to hear you are getting better. But more importantly, what a beautiful family you have!

92. Ryan January 9, 2017 at 10:29 pm - Reply

I saw you at mardels last summer and I wanted to speak but I didn’t want bother you and your family. I wanted to personally show my gratitude for your inspirational career. I hope you stay with the team until you retire…God bless brother! #jeremiah29:11

93. Dino January 9, 2017 at 10:32 pm - Reply

you’re young, got a whole life ahead of you. see you next year as a Chief

94. John January 9, 2017 at 10:33 pm - Reply

Great to hear from you Jamal, our who family was curious to your condition. We are glad to hear you’re on the mend. Congrats to you and family for the birth of you baby boy. We have been Chiefs fans our whole life it’s all I know. This is our year!!!! Thank you for being you. Hope to see you back next year for back to back Super Bowl runs!!!!! Chiefs Kingdom!!!

95. Gary Huddleston January 9, 2017 at 10:34 pm - Reply

We miss you on the field but your health is more important! I had to come to that same realization this year myself! Your spirit and leadership has been eximpliary! I know I speak for the entire Chiefs Kingdom when I say how much I loved to watch you run! Just get better and I hope to see you again in a Chiefs uniform!

96. Gary Huddleston January 9, 2017 at 10:37 pm - Reply

97. Joshua Hinde January 9, 2017 at 10:37 pm - Reply

You probably already know this, but there are people you don’t know paying foryour health and success. Regardless of what team they cheer for, because you are a man of God, and are bold enough to the world from your platform, when most stay silent.

God bless you and your family!

98. Craig Rogers January 9, 2017 at 10:42 pm - Reply

Miss seeing you on the field but please, please take care of yourself and heal up.

99. Kel January 9, 2017 at 10:42 pm - Reply

Thanks for the update Jamaal. You are an inspiration on and off the field. I’m just happy you have your health and joyful family with an exciting new addition on the way

100. Andrea Smith January 9, 2017 at 10:46 pm - Reply

Jamaal I am wishing you the best of luck in your future & a smooth recovery. I miss seeing you out on the field but lord knows you are doing what is best for you!! We all hope to see that KC jersey on you next season!! Congrats on your newest edition to come!! You are a great man for your children & young fans to look up to!! Thank you for sharing your story. Sending prayers and love your way all the way from Montana!!!

Ps I received the BEST Christmas present to date … a signed jersey by you yourself & an EB women’s cut jersey… pretty sure I don’t need another Christmas 😉 unless it’s tickets to a game in Arrowhead !! Haha much love ❤️

101. Troy K. January 9, 2017 at 10:46 pm - Reply

Jamaal-get well soon. Thanks for keeping everyone apprised of your amazing comeback. I’ve seen this sport tear down so many, but I know you’ll come through like a champ and bounce back-you’ve done it before. It was heartbreaking watching you go off against the Bears and I thought to myself “there goes the greatest Chief RB of all time”…..I even told my son that during the game. And here you are…..makin yet another comeback.

I’ve watched your Special Olympics speech no less than 20 times and have used it for business situations when people tell me there are obstacles……because it strikes a cord with me.

You once approached my son and gave him an autograph……amongst a crowd of people-you’re a legend, a fatherly figure and a very Godly man. I wish you a speedy recovery and the hope that you’re a Chief for life……..because you’ve made the past decade a joy to watch.

Here’s to seeing you at training camp……and rejuvenating another Chiefs Run.

102. Bart R January 9, 2017 at 10:57 pm - Reply

You got life figured out bud! Don’t sweat the small stuff. Take care of yourself and that awesome family. My kids look up to you and after this post I am even MORE proud of them doing so! Praise God in All Things. You are the one that got KC back on the map!

103. Sarah Thomas January 9, 2017 at 11:08 pm - Reply

Miss watching you! Get well and come back and have fun again.

104. Josh January 9, 2017 at 11:10 pm - Reply

We miss you so much Jamaal and the entire Chiefs nation has your back through this!!!! I cant wait to be able to see you on the field again!! KC fan Josh C. -Las Vegas NV

105. Jason January 9, 2017 at 11:11 pm - Reply

It has been a joy to watch you play. You are my son’s favorite player! He was only 6 when he started watching you play. He is now 9 and Google searches your plays so he can attempt to run like you on the field. We went to the xmas game this year and he kept saying i wish i could have seen Charles run tonight. Hopefully you are back in Chiefs Red next year but even if you aren’t we will be making a trip to see you play where ever you might end up. The Chiefs really needed you this post season and even if they go all the way it will be bittersweet to not have you play. You have been through so much and you desearve any success that comes your way. You and your faith are a positive role model for kids like him and I deeply appreciate you for this. Godspeed and God bless you and your family. Get healthy and see you soon back on the field.

106. Sharon January 9, 2017 at 11:14 pm - Reply

God bless you, Hon. Trust In His plan.

107. Namon January 9, 2017 at 11:46 pm - Reply

Praying for you JC! You are mine and my 9yr old granddaughters favorite player! We are from KC but live in Pensacola. She says take care and get back soon!

108. Richard Reyes January 9, 2017 at 11:47 pm - Reply

Jammal, i wanted to thank you for being such a humble person. May our Heavenly Father continue to bless you in life and in your recovery. I’ve been a Chiefs fan since my 5th grade yr and have never seen a player glide as smooth as you do when u run the ball. I know one day you’ll do that again. Congrats on ur future baby boy.

109. Linda Duwa January 10, 2017 at 12:21 am - Reply

Jamaal, words cannot express how much you are missed on the field in KC. All I can say is I hope that the plan for you
    includes a few more years in Kansas City. Please take care , and much congratulations on the wonderful addition to your family.

110. Tyler January 10, 2017 at 12:25 am - Reply

You are such an inspiration. We will continue to keep you and your family in our thoughts. I am a Kansas native recovering from my second groin surgery. The road to recovery is tough and I am battling to get back to work & professional racquetball. I live near KC and was at the game on Christmas cheering on our Chiefs. Best wishes – TC

111. Gary Bowling January 10, 2017 at 12:35 am - Reply

Jamal, thanks for caring about us enough to fill us in on your injury. You definitely are my favorite Chief of all time and I’ve been around a while! I’m praying for a full recovery for you. It’s not the same without you out there on the field. You have a beautiful family and your an awesome man Jamal. God bless you and thank you so much for the thrills you have given all of us fans. Get well soon. Go Chieeefs!

112. Douglas Hawken January 10, 2017 at 12:42 am - Reply

Hey Jamaal, glad to hear you are leaning on Christ, as we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Really appreciate you letting us know how you’re doing. Glad to see you spending quality time with your family, so very important. Absolutely love watching you on the field, using that great talent God has given you. You are also a great example to your family, your teammates & to us the fans. Hoping to see you on the sidelines against the Steelers as you are an inspiration to all of us. I have been a Chiefs fan since I was 13 yrs old, I am now 58. You are definitely one of my favorite Chiefs of all time. Continue on in the will of God my brother & God bless you & your family

113. Michael January 10, 2017 at 12:48 am - Reply

Nothing but best thoughts for you and your family. I have loved watching you play. You are a fantastic player as well as a fantastic person. You do Chiefs Nation proud. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

114. Tony Nix January 10, 2017 at 1:11 am - Reply

God’s speed Jamal, praying for a complete and total healing for you. God bless you and your family and thank you for sharing your journey with us. I know one thing, I am a Jamal Charles fan regardless of whether you’re playing on the field or not. Get whole again soon, we’re all pulling for you brother.

115. Roy Richardson January 10, 2017 at 1:39 am - Reply

Bless you and your family always Jamaal. You faith is admirable and inspiring.Our heart felt prayers God always hears and answers, and I know you are being watched over and loved.

116. Chuy Navarrete January 10, 2017 at 1:39 am - Reply

Great player, great teammate, great role model but most importantly great father, husband, and son of the lord. Whatever the future holds I’m glad you rocked the red n gold! #besttodoit#fHOF#25#Mr. 5.5!

117. james January 10, 2017 at 1:50 am - Reply

Jamal Charles I dont know were to start . Cheifs nation we love you.I remember how strong you came back after the first acl .didnt you have 1700 yards, unbelievable, so we know you can do it !! also your so good that are team became so one dimensional.your injury opend the door for all the new weapons ( maclin kelse hill wilson conley ware ) now were well ballanced so much I fell we have a great shot to win it all this year. I got this dum grin on my face cuz next year youll be dominant ready wearing red. get that ring charles! God gave you greatness and you useing it for his glory. Well done.

118. Robert Boyles, Sr January 10, 2017 at 2:05 am - Reply

Mr. Charles I have been following football for 30+ years and I commend you for reaching out and sharing YOUR personal story with us! I think your an amazing running back but more importantly I now know your an amazing human being. Thanks for doing something that you didnt have to do and share with us your journey. DO WHATS RIGHT FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, YOUR HEALTH, MIND, BODY and SPIRIT! God speed sir.

119. Joshua Ford January 10, 2017 at 3:09 am - Reply

I am happy to read this! I wish you the best you are one of my all-time favorite Chiefs. You are my first Jersey I ever bought. I wish it was signed maybe in the future. Get well come back and lead our team again! Good luck buddy!
    Much love,
    Joshua Ford

120. Mike Sparks January 10, 2017 at 4:16 am - Reply

Jamaal Charles God Bless you and your family, thank you for everything you have done as a Chief prayers on a speedy recovery!

121. Debbie Montemurro January 10, 2017 at 4:47 am - Reply

Congratulation on the baby boy!!!! Thank you for taking the time to write this for you fans etc..Hope to see you on the sidelines Sunday you know you are one of the many reasons we have made it this far our team is so full of talent you guys bring out the best in each other. God BLESS you and your family. Thank you again.

122. Bill Ebeling January 10, 2017 at 4:57 am - Reply

May God richly bless you and your family and watch over them with a hedge of protection. You are a man your father can be proud of both here on earth and in heaven. Thank you for sharing.

123. Stan January 10, 2017 at 6:13 am - Reply

Thank you for such a positive look into your life. I hope I can approach my smaller challenges with the grace and composure that you approach this one. Thanks for the blessing.

And your family is beautiful!

124. Rick Timsah January 10, 2017 at 6:17 am - Reply

Jamaal,.. .thank you for sharing your story. You are an inspiration to all,..on and off of the football field. You are blessed with your loving family and friends. Your fans love you to,….no matter what you do in football. We hope you come back,…but we love you as a person no matter what you do or where you are. God bless.

125. Linda January 10, 2017 at 6:30 am - Reply

JC, I miss seeing that number 25 out there, but now know you are striving to get well. You have a lot of fans praying for you so get well and we’ll see you out there on the field next year.

126. Tyler Seever January 10, 2017 at 6:48 am - Reply

You are amazing as a player and as a family man!! I have a boy on the way as well!! I am so excited!! Your words also have pushed me to be the best man and dad I can be!!!

127. Alton Clay January 10, 2017 at 6:49 am - Reply

What a marvelous testimony of God’s Providence. I’m so glad he chose a strong vessel in you JC to show the world your victory and His Glory. Thanks for sharing your story that is truly inspirational to me and a great many others. Keep on keeping on my Brother. CHIEFS KINGDOM is here for you and we’re keeping the faith! Take good care and we’ll see you soon. Early congrats on Jr. #Godisgood

128. Chris January 10, 2017 at 6:58 am - Reply

Amen! Trust in God’s plan, His plan for you and your family, so that you may walk in His light and with His Peace this and everyday.
    You are truly a blessed man!

129. Lacy January 10, 2017 at 7:30 am - Reply

I love to hear about how strong your faith is! It’s also great to hear how much support you have on and off the field. Best wishes on your recovery!

130. Nick January 10, 2017 at 7:31 am - Reply

I am flying in from FL for the game. Hope to see you there!

131. Nick January 10, 2017 at 7:32 am - Reply

I am flying in from FL for the game. Hope to see you there on the sidelines. The team could use your motivation!

132. Enrique January 10, 2017 at 8:42 am - Reply

I ripped my meniscus in my left knee at my job last year, I am so thankful it was not your ACL. All of us love watching you run, because you run with so much passion, and you will be back brother, but you have a beautiful family and that’s awesome you have a son on the way and your right, God, Family & Chiefs Kingdom, take care and God bless JC

133. Becki Childress January 10, 2017 at 8:49 am - Reply

Really glad to hear that you are well and getting healthier. God bless you and your family!

134. Sean January 10, 2017 at 8:57 am - Reply

Would love to see you in midnight green next season!

135. Mitch January 10, 2017 at 9:01 am - Reply

Jamal,
    Much love from Chiefs kingdom.
    We are all part of the family.
    God loves you , your immediate family and all of your Chiefs fam loves you. Always! Where ever this path takes you, we have your back.
    We got this.
    Love Over Gold.

136. JJM January 10, 2017 at 9:14 am - Reply

You go JC! Great to hear you are on the mend! We miss you and know you’ll be back!

137. Jennifer DeFreece January 10, 2017 at 9:18 am - Reply

I have total respect for you and wish you only the best. Family is first and is everything and you are a good person on the field and OFF the field. Stay true to your heart and do what you want to do for you and your family.

138. carol young January 10, 2017 at 9:28 am - Reply

Can’t wait until you are back, congrats on the new baby

139. Darren January 10, 2017 at 9:54 am - Reply

Having been a fan since the late 70’s, I can honestly say that you are my favorite RB the Chiefs have ever had the pleasure of suiting up on game day. You are an inspiration on and off the field. Being a family man and a father of three myself, I commend your decision to make family first. When you return to the field, and you will, I will be there cheering you on every step of the way. It has truly been a privilege to watch you play the game so effortlessly, and I look forward to seeing you dominate the backfield yet again. Take care and God bless.

140. Jonie Hopkins Jr January 10, 2017 at 9:54 am - Reply

As your brother in Christ, I want to say Praise the Lord and shame on the devil! So happy to read this report from you. May God continue to bless you. As a Chiefs fan, I miss seeing you pn the field but want you to do whatever in necessary to get back on that field comfortable and in control. Praying for you! Go Chiefs!

141. Johnny lyles January 10, 2017 at 9:57 am - Reply

Take your Time J C! And thanks for what you have done For Chiefs Nation and I look forward to seeing you and tyreek#10 in the backfield together in the up coming football season! #25 the Best hands down! And I have had Eight knee surgries and I’m hanging in their so Let’s go Chiefs!!!!!!

142. FABIAN January 10, 2017 at 10:18 am - Reply

I’m glad to hear you are doing well, sometimes as fans we forget that behind the number there is a human being with everyday struggles just like everyone else. I wish the best to you and your family, I hope you get better and someday see you on the field again. Stay strong and God bless!!

143. Dennis Lee January 10, 2017 at 10:52 am - Reply

I met you at at Coach Haley’s first training camp, I knew you were a phenomenal person before I knew what an amazing RB you were, and are. You are an inspiring person for all you have been through, hang in there, I will continue to shout “Give The Ball To Jamaal!”. Please know that Chiefs fans still care and want you in our backfield as soon as you are ready. As a father, I am so happy for your new addition to your family, Congrats! Fam on 2! Fam on 2! FAM!

144. Marquise January 10, 2017 at 10:56 am - Reply

Best / most underrated Running Back in franchise history. The things you have been able to accomplish with this team are remarkable. No matter where you end up (hopefully staying put), Kansas City is always going to wish the best for you and your family. You made the right decision. Now let’s make a run at something special, Go Chiefs! #25

145. Cedric Sanders January 10, 2017 at 11:04 am - Reply

I’m from Kansas City born and raised. I’m retired Navy. I live just outside of Pensacola, Florida and I’m a huge Kansas City Chiefs Fan. Jamaal Charles is the motivation for all to emulate. You are the best we have had and look forward to all you can give. God bless you and your family.

146. Cedric Sanders January 10, 2017 at 11:06 am - Reply

I’m from Kansas City born and raised. I’m retired Navy. I live just outside of Pensacola, Florida and I’m a huge Kansas City Chiefs Fan. Jamaal Charles is the motivation for all to emulate. You are the best thing we have had and look forward to all you can give. God bless you and your family.

147. Alex Lu January 10, 2017 at 11:06 am - Reply

JC, praying for you to have a solid and well rested recovery. Hope to see you back on the field next season and for many more to come. Thank you for all you’ve done for KC and the Chiefs. Best of luck to you, your wife, daughters, and son once he’s born. God bless your family and the Chiefs kingdom. Don’t give up, your an inspiration to us all. No matter what happens, you’re a Chief for life and a hall-of-famer at that!

148. Bobby Fever January 10, 2017 at 11:12 am - Reply

From KC Chiefs West, in Los Angeles Ca., you are a blessed man and a blessing for the Chiefs team..The amount of effecient work and the positive attitude you have, good things will come your way, with assistance from the man above…
    Stay well, Mr. Charles..
    How ’bout Those …CHIEFS.!!??!!

149. Jeff January 10, 2017 at 11:46 am - Reply

Praying for you and the family Jamal. .Although I would love to see you back in a Chief’s uniform….I know that whatever path God brings to your life ..it will be for His greater purpose. You have been an inspiration to many not only for your talents on the field but your story off it. Thank you for everything and being you -Authentic & Real.

“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.” Isaiah 43:2

God bless.

150. Jef January 10, 2017 at 11:57 am - Reply

God bless.

151. Daniel Noakes January 10, 2017 at 12:25 pm - Reply

Look forward to seeing you back in uniform! God bless you and your family, Mr. Charles. You are a tremendous asset to the Chiefs, and we as fans are thankful that this organization recognized that!

152. Cory January 10, 2017 at 12:41 pm - Reply

Amazing blog. Articulate, emotional, encouraging and real. I’ve always loved watching you as a player, as I am a Longhorn and a Chiefs fan. However, my respect for you has increased ten fold as I learn who you are as an individual. No doubt your future is bright, godspeed.

153. Dustin Pittman January 10, 2017 at 12:45 pm - Reply

Jamaal,
    I’m a moderately casual football fan, a more serious Chiefs fan for over 40 years, but I can now say that I’m a huge Jamaal Charles fan. Not for what you have done and are capable of doing on the field, but for how you’ve approached this “setback” and put your faith in God for others to see. For me and others I’m sure, you are more of a role model by writing this testimony than you ever will be for achievements on the field. May God guide your recovery, your upcoming birth, your family, and continue to pursue you as His son. And in the meantime, Go Chiefs!

154. Janie McBride January 10, 2017 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Jamal, I have tears streaming down my face right now. You are a powerful being, a man of God. I know that you are doing things right & will be back with your team as soon as God allows. Right now, keep doing what you need to to get well. Come back soon, come back strong, come back a warrior, come back a Chief. I adore you. Many blessings to you & your beautiful family.

155. chris G January 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm - Reply

get well soon JC. we miss your strides on the field! I remember when you were a young player still and you got one of your first opportunities against the bucs! I knew you were special then. GO CHIEFS!!!

156. Sherry January 10, 2017 at 2:39 pm - Reply

Much love and prayers for you and your beautiful family from SWVa! Go Chiefs!

157. Nestor Moreira January 10, 2017 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Jamaal! I’m a big fan from Paraguay! You are the most talented athlete that i’ve Ever seen in my life! I was really looking for something like this, your very Own words. Reading this I can realize that you are as amazing person as a great athlete. Can’t wait to see you again in a Chiefs uniform again! GO CHIEFS & GO SPURS 😉

158. Simon Korf January 10, 2017 at 2:53 pm - Reply

Jamaal I’m from Germany you are the one who made a Chiefs Fan out of me so I hope you come back stronger!!… Get well soon! #JC25

159. Derrick devore January 10, 2017 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Hey man I just had my meniscus taken all the way out and knee shaved and cleaned out. Do you have any tips or advice for rehabilitation. Dr says I’m doing good but didn’t know if you had any tips. Wish you the best man and me and my middle son was hoping to see you playing in the playoffs . Just get well and come back stronger and better next year either way my son will keep reppin your jersey

160. Nathan Luff January 10, 2017 at 4:07 pm - Reply

You’re the man jamaal! Thanks for sharing your story. Keep your head up. Congrats on your son on the way. Good luck in rehab. Hope to see you back doing what you do!

161. Jim January 10, 2017 at 4:21 pm - Reply

Hello JC. I’m an old man, 72 and a big Chiefs fan since they came to KC. IMO, you are the best RB that I have ever seen play and having followed you close, I really admire your beliefs
    and fortitude as a man and as a fantastic football player. Your running abilities are absolutely amazing and I’ve had the benefit all these years of watching you. Thank you. I sure appreciate you updating us fans and I’m very, very hopeful that it all works out and we see you back with the team this Spring. Regardless of what happens, I definitely hope for the very best for you and your beautiful family. You have already had a great career and I know we all will be waiting to see it continue but if for some reason things don’t work out, do what is best for you and have a happy wonderful life. I will be hoping to see you better than ever this Spring and with your positive attitude and faith, I really believe it will happen. A few more years of number 25, running up and down the field, will keep this old man extremely entertained. The best to you.

162. Thomas Ruggles January 10, 2017 at 4:45 pm - Reply

From One Texas boy to another, I’m proud of you JC. I’ve watched you from a Longhorn to my favorite team the Chiefs. You and DJ have been my favorite Chiefs to come through and I will always hold out hope for you both to be Chiefs for life. I know we can’t predict the future but your are family to all of your brothers on the team to all of us who bleed red and yellow. Proud to have had you represent our team with such honor and humility. I respect the hell out of you for putting family first and will never hold that against you. Keep your head up Fam and come back strong as ever, we are all pulling for you!

163. Gary Curry January 10, 2017 at 5:16 pm - Reply

God bless

164. Jeff January 10, 2017 at 5:30 pm - Reply

Keep it up Jamaal – you’ve already provided this franchise and it’s fan base so many great memories.
    If football is in the plan for the future, then great. If being a father to your three kids is the plan- that’s an even much more respectable decision.
    Either way, what you have done for this organization should be (and is in my book) considered more that above and beyond.
    Hope to see you as a Chief, in some capacity, in the years ahead.
    Get better soon and thanks for the memories! Jeff
    (Ps- I’ve never been enclined to respond to a professional athlete’s comments until I read what you wrote to us).

165. Jeff L January 10, 2017 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Hope to see you as a Chief, in some capacity, in the years ahead.
    Get better soon and thanks for the memories! Jeff

166. Eric January 10, 2017 at 5:33 pm - Reply

This Chiefs family is going to get you the ring you deserve this year…you’re one of the main pieces that the foundation of success this team has been built upon, and whether you carried the ball much, you’ve always helped carry the team. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a peaceful mind during this challenging time. Go Chiefs!

167. Troy Smith January 10, 2017 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Do what is right for your health and your family. It’s more important to play with those children for years to come than a touchdown run. Wish you all the best, JC RING OF HONOR.

168. Jeff n Austin January 10, 2017 at 8:13 pm - Reply

HOOK ‘EM

169. Tyler January 10, 2017 at 8:20 pm - Reply

INSPIRING! Chiefs kingdom will always have your back through thick and thin. We would love to have you on the field, but as you said family comes first. Even though you have your own family at home, you will always have a second family that supports you from the stands in Chiefs kingdom. Come back stronger than before. Best of luck to you and your family in bringing a new life into the world! God bless you!

170. Tyler January 10, 2017 at 8:24 pm - Reply

JC I hope your knee gets better man! I know how it feels going through knee surgeries. I’ve had two on my left knee and this past July I tore my ACL in my right knee playing basketball. I currently teach elementary PE and coach girls basketball in independence and I have a 1 year old. I consider myself fairly active and when I heard the news that I tore my ACL in my right knee I was devasted, scared, mad, and distraught. My first thoughts were how am I going to do this? How can I be a good father? Teacher? Coach? It took a lot of prayer and faith to make it through. I am now 5 and a half months out and starting to get to where I can be more active again. Keep your faith on God and your family and always pray no matter what. I can’t wait to see you on the field again. I’m rooting for ya!!!!

171. James McDonald January 10, 2017 at 9:24 pm - Reply

Jamaal, you have been in our prayers daily for your recovery and continue to be so. We were elated to hear you had found Christ. Thinking back to the first game I saw you in all the way to the brief glimpse from this season, there’s no other running back in the NFL I’d want as a Chief. Get that knee better, get home to KC, and keep on trucking until you get to the HOF like you deserve to be.

God be with you and the family. And congratulations on the soon to be son!

172. Todd Bingham January 10, 2017 at 9:43 pm - Reply

Mr. Charles, me and my fantasy team have missed you!! But as a diehard Chiefs Fans and a fellow believer I know that whatever God has for you, will be what’s best for you. This situation did not catch Him by surprise. A friend of mine wrote a song that says “I don’t know what tomorrow holds, but I know whose holding me. I don’t know what tomorrow brings, but I know whose bringing me when the night falls down. Jesus I am loved by You, I am loved by You. This love has made me sure, that I can endure, cause I am loved by you.

This strengthens me in my hard times, I hope it will you too.

173. Ptah Herring January 10, 2017 at 9:45 pm - Reply

Just get well my brother and keep the faith you’ll be back in top form Jamaal . You will always be a part of the Chiefs Kingdom and we all would like for you and Derrick Johnson to retire as KC Chiefs !

174. Wanae Glasco January 10, 2017 at 10:33 pm - Reply

Jamaal as you state it’s in God’s hand and you’re a young man and have patience with your recovery, whether or not you will be able to play the game you love, family is always first, and if it’s meant to be it will happen. Jamaal I’m a female and I was a softball player in my youth and bowler loved sports, to short for basketball lol. As my years of age came upon me, I’ve had (4) knee surgeries, meniscus, cartilage, scrapping, then ACL, I know the pain, now I have to use aides to help me keep my balance and walk not a good feeling nor a pretty site on women! I have grandchildren and I get frustrated cause I can’t play with them the way I would like to. Jamaal take your time with your recuperation cause it will let you know what decision and direction that would be good for you and your family.☺ Congratulations on the new addition coming to your family. Good luck #25 strong

175. Glenn Gioe January 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm - Reply

Jamal you’ve definitely been one of my favorite chiefs. I’m a New Jersey kc fan and one if your biggest fans. I just had twins a girl and a boy and wish you well on your sons pregnancy. I’m glad to hear your doing ok and your truly an inspiration to many people a great leader and a great teammate and community leader. I wish you all the luck in the world whether with chiefs or somewhere else I will always root for you. God bless and get better if anyone can come back to playing at a high level from these injuries I believe you can.

Glenn Gioe

176. Wanae Glasco January 10, 2017 at 11:04 pm - Reply

Jamaal I miss watching you play, but I wouldn’t want any athlete to get the disease that I now have in my knee, which is pseudo gout no cure, and no one in my family history has or had this problem..

177. David from Red Lodge, MT January 11, 2017 at 4:40 am - Reply

You’re only 29, and I’m 48- but you have been a great inspiration to me. Thank you, brother. I can’t tell you how often your words, spoken and written, have brought me to tears. You are a true man of God. Truly, your daughters and son could not ask for a better father. Though I have never met you, I look forward to spending an eternity in Heaven with you. When you get there, people you’ve never met, and some you have, will be lined up to say :”Thank you”. (Like the song from Ray Boltz..) I will be one of them. Just remember, we can never truly know the impact of what we say and do. Some (ignorant, or just rebellious) people say Heaven will be boring. But with people like you around- it definitely will not be. Jesus rocks!!!

Yeshua (Jesus in Hebrew) bless you, Brother Jamaal.

178. Dustin Lowery January 11, 2017 at 7:59 am - Reply

Heartwarming, humble, and courageous as always. We are all routing for you and awaiting your expedient and triumphant return HOME to the turf of Arrowhead. I personally can’t wait to see that stunning grin through your face mask as you once again dance, dodge, and mitriculate to the end zone once again.

rest assured that when that day comes you can count on the Chiefs Kingdom and faithful to be right their by your side every stride of the way.

FAM ON THREE! 1..2..3..FAM!

179. Jeff Odermann January 11, 2017 at 8:27 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing your story. God bless you and your family. I wear your jersey every week when I watch the game. GO CHIEFS!!

180. Ernest hook January 11, 2017 at 10:03 am - Reply

Hey Jamaal thank you for being open and truthful brother we in chiefs kingdom believe you will come back as strong as ever and can’t wait for that game when we can again cheer for#25on the field get heathy and stay positive. God is with you my brother god bless you and your family

181. Stan Colbert January 12, 2017 at 1:16 am - Reply

JC! Great to hear from you! Congratulations on the baby! I pray mother and child will be great! Glad to hear this part of your story. I am constantly impressed with your talents on and off the field! I shepard a little ministry only significant if God involved. So far it is mostly encouragement, Bible study. I do it through E-mail mostly. I can’t think of anything I could provide you couldn’t recieve easier or better, although if you desire I would be willing to try and help. It is as close to anonymous as I know how to make it and apparently, if you get this message you will have my address. May God bless you! I am proud of you for who you are and who you are in the community! Let your light shine.

182. Cynthia Garcia January 15, 2017 at 10:12 pm - Reply

Jamal you are my favorite player ever. I wish the best for you and hope you can get healthy and come back to the Chiefs. GO Chiefs

183. Kim January 15, 2017 at 10:13 pm - Reply

I wish I would have seen this site earlier. I can not forget what you have meant to the Chiefs and I want you to remain a Chief but like so many, I want to thank you for the wonderful times and I will cheer you on no matter where you land. We certainly missed you tonight. God Bless You!

184. Ronnie Shilo January 15, 2017 at 10:39 pm - Reply

It’s wonderful to hear and know your priorities are in the Lord first, then your family, only then your craft. God Blessings on You, Your Family .

Bro Shilo

185. Junessa Dodds January 16, 2017 at 4:19 pm - Reply

Jamaal, I have been praying for you every day this season and hope that you continue to have a great attitude about your injury. I have been a Chiefs fan all my life and it is awesome to see several players stand up for Christ and live a godly example for the whole team. Praying that your influence spreads and that you heal quickly!!

186. Marcello Delfanti January 22, 2017 at 6:35 am - Reply

Ei Jamaal, I’m from Italy (Castel San Giovanni – PC) i whant to thank you because you’re my favorite player with Derrick Johnson. I am also a die hard Chief’s fan and I hope you and Derrick will play again for the Chiefs!!!
    Let’s go man, please stay with us, we have a job to do!!!

best wishes for your family and everything, i’ll pray for you

187. Jay Abbott February 1, 2017 at 7:47 am - Reply

Just came across this and glad to hear you are upbeat through this. Hopefully that is still the case (drop me a tweet and let me know – @jayabbott). It is refreshing to hear directly from an athlete rather than a publicist. I would not expect anything less from a Longhorn!! #HookEm FYI, looks like we are getting some amazing recruits this year.

188. Mylez February 13, 2017 at 3:49 pm - Reply

No worries JC …this team needs you so bad. The “2 step tandem” thing was a good substitute while u were recovering, but we need u! Complete ,dynamic, and impactful. U r the guy who can lead the Chiefs to a championship. We run the ball vs. Pittsburgh we win easily. Then let’s lay the cards down.
    Go show these fools why u r the Running back we need.

189. KcJoe520 February 17, 2017 at 1:34 am - Reply

My best NFL experience was getting to watch you bust a td run against the cards here in AZ was about a 65 yrd run thank you for that and all you have done as a CHIEF!!! I know you will be back better then ever we have been praying for you and will continue to do so godspeed 25 #HOPE #BELIEVE #CHIEFSKINGDOM

190. Mike March 8, 2017 at 3:46 pm - Reply

Jamaal , true passionate fan here. I am very saddened by the Chiefs decision not to retain u. You deserve another shot. The money shouldn’t even matter at this point. I hope the chiefs resign u , your character speaks for itself. Much love #yourfavoriteplayer.
    -Mike twitter @26walt

191. Robert April 7, 2017 at 9:53 pm - Reply

Dear Mr Charles,

I know you will never read this but I will say anyway: I am a die hard chiefs fan. I am from tx and live in dallas now. I learned football watching Mr okoye run the ball. I LIVED for watching you. Thank you for all you have done for our organization. Thank you for being the only person Mr Reid could trust with the ball for that snowy Oakland game. And mostly thank you for promoting reading theway you do. My son, wife, and I read together nightly. Not always because of you, but when i am tired or hungry and want to skip it i don’t bc of you. You do so much more than run the ball for so many people . i will truly miss you and i never met you. Thank you for everything Mr Charles

192. BroncoJoe May 3, 2017 at 10:14 am - Reply

Welcome to the Broncos, Jamaal. We’re looking forward to seeing you play for the good team in the division!

193. Davii May 3, 2017 at 6:28 pm - Reply

Welcome to Denver Jamaal! Looking forward to seeing you toting the rock in Orange and Blue! You’re a class act, one hell of a competitor, and I’m certain you’ll make the most of the opportunity. Damn glad to have you on the team! God bless and Go Broncos!